Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

"Yes! Now ask me again!"

After living with My Man for a while, we started talking about getting married. We had gotten the hang of being in a relationship and being best friends with each other. I was proud of the fact that we had made it this far and had pretty level heads. I kept saying things like "Finally." It had been a tough road to get to where we were, and while I would go through all of it again to have him, it did leave us both with some emotional baggage.

I know I had to get over a few things from our past that always ALWAYS ALWAYS seemed petty and stupid. Will the psycho-ex come back and steal him away? Will he think that I'm not worth it and go back to her? Will my family draw the line somewhere and not accept him because of our rocky past? All of these thoughts and more seemed to find my brain, creep quietly to a corner, take root, and camp out there for days at a time. Bless My Man for having the following three things: he never yells, calm caring voice and body language, and a Psychology minor. Every time one of these things came up, I would get upset for no reason whatsoever (which is three words, but when you are saying them together it's one word...cool), and he would calm me down. He never escalated drama. He would remind me that we have made a commitment to each other, this is an adult relationship, and that I was worth it. Oh my gosh, aren't you falling in love with him already?

He's also a man that does research. I think he gets that from his dad, but maybe not to the same extreme. I still think he wouldn't admit it. He'd probably say something like "I just like the interwebs." So, he asked me what kind of rings I liked. He knew about the four Cs of diamonds and the basic buzz words of ring shopping. I picked out pictures, but you really have to be in the store and get a nice ring that's too small stuck on your finger and have to have the sales associate fail with lotion and soap and resort to Windex to get it off your now swollen purple finger to really appreciate shopping for an engagement ring. (Oh, you see where this is going?)

We looked around the mall stores and a few, in my words "hoity-toity" shops that only said "No, we can't do that." When we went to Wedding Day Diamonds the girl there went through every single case with me and pulled out several rings, and I compared and narrowed it down to a top three that I loved. I was offered crackers, candy (Ring Pops, how cute is that?), and water bottles until I had exhausted my search, and my sister, who was a great sport during this whole thing.

We decided together that it was better if we waited to get engaged because of finances and social stability. However, I was getting upset because every time I went over to my parents house for a visit, my sister would bring it up. Look, if I'm not getting engaged for a while, please just stop talking about it. It's like showing a kid his birthday cake for next year a week after his birthday and then keeping it on top of the fridge and talking about it every freaking second. One, it's gonna piss the kid off. Two, it's gonna be stale when he can have it. Three, he's gonna be so numb with rage and contempt for all you people in the kitchen talking about the stupid engagement ring that I'm blue in the face....oh, sorry. I mean, the kid...and the cake. Yeah.

I went home after one of these spats and a long day of work in the need of a good cry. My Man is very supportive of good cries. I always feel better after. I was ranting up to my good cry when he cuts me off and says "I've kept the secret too well." He goes into the bedroom and turns the lights on and lights two candles. I don't know why he did this, I guess he wanted the romantic factor in there. Yeah, right next to my water bottle and basket of dirty laundry...

My Man: "There are two things you need to find. We'll play hot and cold."
I move this way.
My Man: "Cold."
I move the other way.
My Man: "Warmer."
Well, you know how the game goes.
I find an EMPTY ring box under some old jeans in the space next to his dresser. I think the anticipation was killing him because I didn't have to look for the other thing. He went into the closet and came out with my ring. Ah, it was sooooo shiny! I actually called it my shiny for a while. I know, very Gollum-esque, right. 

We were laughing and laying down on the floor at this point. 

My Man: "Will you marry me?"
Me: "Yes! Now ask me again!"

The best part was calling the two main friends and telling them. It was one in the morning on Dec 6th so the families would have to wait. The other best part was hearing the story. We don't keep secrets from each other so it was great hearing how he went and bought the ring, asked my parents for permission, hid the box, and made up this totally bogus story about how we should wait and led me on for months. Cheeky little bugger, but it worked!

Everyone was thrilled, and he was going with my family to spend Christmas up North with my grandparents. 

Watch what happens next...it'll knock your socks off. Or at least, make your uterus expand ;)

1 comment:

  1. I remember Lucy getting texts from you about this! :) Sounds creepy, maybe. I just remember her sitting there telling me about the texts.

    ReplyDelete