Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Eat bread, That Should Help

I got really sick in the first trimester with Squishy. Not eating anything, feeling sick all the time, losing weight, the smell of food was enough to send me over the edge. Thank goodness I didn't work in a restaurant...

CRAP.

I worked in a restaurant. I got there in the morning to smell butter melting, bacon and sausage sizzling, pancakes, fruit, coffee. Don't you love those smells? Well, sick preggie me didn't. I took to carrying sliced lemon with me at all times to block out all the aforementioned nostril stimulants. 

My co-workers helped a lot. They didn't fight. They took to solving problems on their own. I actually think that my sickness increased employee productivity. While my personal mission every work day was to keep water down, I knew something had to give. My boss was loving and sympathetic. She told me to go home, quit working, and call when I felt better. I had no clue when that was going to be. Well, maybe this rest would speed up my recovery. 

I have to mention that My Man was wonderful during these bad times. Cutting B-6 pills in half (try it, I dare you), changing the shows on the TV, and putting the pillows on the couch just so to facilitate maximum nap time potential. Since preggies aren't supposed to take any kind of medication, care can get a little frustrating. The midwives told me if I ever have any questions I should call the nurse line. Since I couldn't sit up most of the time, My Man made these calls.

My Man: "*SnowMommy* is 15 weeks pregnant. She can't take vitamins or prenatal supplements. She can't eat more than a cracker at a time. She has trouble keeping water down. Sometimes B-6 helps a bit, but not much. Is there anything else we can do?"

Nurseline: "Well, avoid spicy foods. Try to take the prenatals. Try bland foods like bread."

My hormones were everywhere, so after a call like that I would generally burst into tears. Not even the nurses could help me. Wait, my own mother is a nurse! I called mommy dearest and asked her for help. She came over and gave me my saving grace. Now, I want to give you all a little disclaimer here. I am not a medical professional. You should always follow your medical professionals advice.

My mom when through chemotherapy for 6 months a few years ago (currently in remission). She gave me some leftover pills that she had from her chemo nausea. My Man cut them in half and I took two halves a day. They kept me nausea-free long enough to eat a cracker or two, then made me a little sleepy so I could take a nap. I'm not going to say the name of the pill, but I trusted my mom. This was an act of desperation.

By the start of my second trimester, I began to feel better. Winter was waning and I actually wanted to go out sometimes. What I really wanted was to go back to work! I didn't like this constant confinement to the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment