Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baby Guide: Adjusting to Baby

According to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, every human needs to start with breathing, food, water, sex, excretion (bodily functions), sleep, and homeostasis way before they reach self actualization. Hey, let's throw an infant into the mix and see how close my husband and I are self actualization!!!

In a twenty-four hour period:
  • Breathing. Well, yeah. We were both breathing all day. That's a good start!
  • Homeostasis. This goes along with the breathing. It's mostly involuntary, so yeah, it was present.
  • Water. We both have Camelbak water bottles which make it almost impossible to constantly drink water. Plus, I have been a water nut my life, that one was probably the easiest thing that I had control over.
  • Food. I often forgot to eat. Hence the family bringing food all the time. I tried to keep energy up by constantly having food near me. Apples, scrambled eggs, and ham were the easiest things to grab or make quickly. 
  • Sex. Are you serious??!!?! My vagina had just been abused by the cutest thing I've ever seen. My uterus was in the long process of giving me back all those periods I had missed. No sex, I'm laughing that it's even an on this list of needs. My guess is that I would not be in need of sex for quite some time. 
  • Bodily Functions. I'm gonna throw out another honest answer here: No, my body was not back to normal. There was still a large belly, a shrinking uterus, and organs shifting back to their rightful places. This caused large amounts of constipation. I am not used to that, and I highly recommend the stool softeners! 
  • Sleep. F*ck no.
My point is this. If you are a new parent and you're feeling drained, tired, irritable, upside down, and not at all human, it's okay. Your simple needs aren't being met. Your focus is your tiny human, who needs you very much. The first few weeks are the hardest, until you can start to develop a schedule. Don't forget that babies are new to all of this too! While you're in labor, they are being born. While you're nursing, they are learning to eat and digest. It's a process that you are doing together, and it will get easier.

If you are feeling overwhelmed, depressed, or severely emotional please please please reach out to someone. These things can be totally normal for an adjusting mommy, but can be much worse for some than others. Make sure you are taking care of yourself, and get the help you need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment