Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Baby Guide: Latching on to Breast Feeding

One the third day (or night, I don't know what time it was because of the newborn), my milk came in.

OMFG. I manufacture milk, what's your super power?

I'm pretty sure I had a gravitational pull at this point. Little dust bunnies, clumps of hair from the shower, and paper clips started orbiting my size 36 E rack. My boobs were so hard and uncomfortable, I couldn't walk. They were rocks. Steve Carrel was right when he said that boobs felt like bags of sand. He must have been feeling up new moms three days post partum.

What's more unsettling about this is that my baby would not latch on. We had been having some issues perfecting the feedings over the last two days, but it's even harder for her to latch on to boulders with paper clips flying everywhere. I was serious about that gravity thing.

I called my mom crying begging for help. Thank goodness she had the day off! She rushed down to hospital and rented a pump (we were waiting for our insurance to approve the purchase of our own pump) and rushed back to my apartment and taught me how to use it. I instantly fell in love with my new Medela Lactina Select. After pumping for a few minutes, I felt a lot of relief. My nipples got huge and Squishy had a much easier time nursing. We were both getting the hang of it.

Breast milk is the best thing for baby for at least the first year of life, hands down. I understand that there are exceptions to that statement. I'm talking about healthy babies and mothers that can breast feed. It even says on the packaging for all formulas that breast milk is best. That said, I didn't know it's as much work as it is. Correction, breast feeding was my favorite part of being a mommy. Day, night, Saturday's alright. I can't finish that joke because you can't breast feed online. It was the pumping that was the work!

There was a lot of advice that told me to make sure I switch sides and nurse her equally from both breasts, then the next feeding, start from the side I ended on before. The problem I had with this was that Squishy had problems with latching on to my right breast. Most of the time she nursed from the left breast, but afterward I pumped both sides until they were both empty. Eventually, however, I got her to nurse equally from both sides. She didn't like to lay across to the right side, I ended up with the football hold working best for that side. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I had storage bottles from my mom that stored milk in the fridge. After a few weeks of constantly nursing then pumping, I broke out some bottles and My Man started pitching in with some middle of the night feedings so I could get some sleep. Squishy had no problem going from breast to bottle, I give a lot of credit to the shape and size of the Tommee Tippee products.

I was a milk producing machine. I don't know what's normal, but not counting the baby's feedings for a 24 hour period I would net 50+ ounces of pumped milk a day. That's an insane amount according to my mother. I felt proud of my boob milk making talent. I wanted to keep it up. I had a nursing pro for a baby and a wonderful pump, I would freeze a lot of milk and be able to keep it in my freezer for 3 months, or my parents' deep freezer for 6 months. For freezer storage, there isn't anything better than the Lansinoh breast milk storage bags.

Things I used while breast feeding:
  • Pump
  • Pump accessories (cleaned after every feeding)
  • Nursing bras
  • Breast pads
  • Nipple cream
  • Storage bottles (refrigerator)
  • Storage bags (freezer)
  • Legal pad for keeping track of feedings, pumped milk, amounts, etc.
Does anyone have any other thoughts on breast feeding? Any tricks, tips, products they trust?

No comments:

Post a Comment