Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Pregnancy Virus Often Leads to an Infant

September 8th, 2010....

I woke up at 10am and waddled my way to the bathroom. If you ever ask a preggie if she needs to pee, day or night, the answer will most likely be "yes". I noticed that I had peed sometime in the night in my underwear  because they were damp. It was like they were wet 5 hours ago and were almost dried. That had happened before, I giggled a little. Add that to the list, preggies can pee themselves. 

Husband was still sleeping, and sleep sounded good to me, I had nothing else to do that day. I got up and waddled back to bed. When I got up, I felt more pee come out. Then it donned on me...

BABY TIME.

I went back to the bedroom, leaking, and woke up my husband. I said it sort of matter-of-factly. 

Me: "Hey, my water is broken."
My Man: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm gonna call the midwives."
My Man: "Okay." Then he went back to sleep. 

I called the midwife on-call. I told her I was 39 weeks, 4 days. I told her my water was broken, but I didn't think there was any bloody show. I wanted to stay home as long as possible. She told me to check in every once and a while with them so they could make sure everything was progressing alright. 

I called my mom next. She was golfing, but had recently taken to answering every one of my phone calls with an Am-I-A-Freaking-Grandma?!?!? sort of tone. She told me to walk around for a while since I wasn't having contractions. Not to worry, they started soon after that. 

I walked around the coffee table for a considerable amount of the afternoon. I drank a lot of water. I probably retained most of it. It was around 5:30 when the contractions were about seven minutes apart, but the pain was getting stronger. I figured if we packed up now and left at 6:00 or so we could miss rush hour and make it to the hospital in half an hour. 

With every contraction stronger than the last one, we left the apartment for the hospital at 6:15. Contractions were 5 minutes apart. We arrived at the hospital at 6:50. Contractions were 4 minutes apart. We went through triage. I was 90% effaced and 5-6 cm dilated. I got admitted and moved into my labor room. 

7:30 Contractions 3 minutes apart, 100% effaced 7 cm dilated. 
The nurse told me the anesthesiologist was really busy and it would probably take him at least an hour to get to me if I was interested in an epidural. I told her to put me on his list. She started an IV and gave me some drugs to take the edge off the contractions. I instantly felt a lot better. The IV medication made the contractions dull, like they were earlier in the afternoon. 

At 8:00 the anesthesiologist came in and said he was right next door so he thought he would pop in and see how I was doing. Well, I thought I was doing fine with the IV medication, but I didn't know when he would be back, so I said yes to the epidural. 

I'm gonna stop here and mention that I dislike needles. I'm not afraid of them, I just mind them. Being in full blown labor about to give birth to a tiny human gave me so much empowerment and inner strength that I didn't notice it. I felt pokes and burns, I didn't care. I was in labor, I was invincible. 

After the epidural, I was told to go to sleep. Well, I can't sleep when it's light out. I can't sleep on this uncomfortable bed. I can't sleep when the blood pressure monitor's alarm goes off EVERY 15 MINUTES because I have an epidural....I was getting tired, and cranky. I watched one of my chosen DVDs...The West Wing. I'm in love with Aaron Sorkin.

The story continues here.

No comments:

Post a Comment