Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sex = Labor ?

Large. Sweaty. Drooling. Snoring. Do you want to play a game of Don't Wake The Preggie? I thought not.

You know what's weird? When your mom and your mother-in-law (both eager to become first time grandmas) suggest that I spend my free time having sex with my husband, either their son or son-in-law. Maybe something weird-er? I followed their advice.

Sex induces labor. Somewhat true...here's the explanation...

Sperm contains prostaglandins. Prostaglandins help the cervix soften and get ready to open.
Nipple stimulation and orgasms release oxytocin. Oxytocin can cause contractions.

I wasn't looking to induce labor at 36 weeks, I was just trying to get dilated so I didn't go overdue. Well, it was working! At my 36 week check, I was 70% effaced and 2cm dilated. We went home and did our homework at least once a day for maximum labor preparation.

By my 38 week checkup I was 90% effaced and 4cm dilated. Awesome!

Progressing well, I was feeling productive. Some preggies can do all the labor incuding methods in the world and still stay hard and closed until 40 weeks. I was lucky. I was guessing I was going to deliver Squishy early.

At 38 weeks 6 days, I started having contractions in the wee early hours of the morning. I had my husband call into work and I started counting. They weren't hurting or anything, but they were 5 minutes apart. After tossing and turning all night, I woke up and called the midwife on-call at the hospital. They told me to come in. I didn't want to, I could tell this was not labor, but since I was not trained in labor and delivery, I decided to air on the side of caution and packed up and we went to the hospital.

I was put in triage at 9am and was discharged at 9:32am. And no, I didn't have the baby in that time. I was really tired for the rest of the day. Ultimately, I was glad we got a chance to do a dry run to the hospital. There was always the chance that Squishy would decide to arrive in some kind of emergency scenario, though I hoped she would come safely. And soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment