Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Wedding

May 8th, 2010...

My wedding day. Our wedding day, really. I made breakfast and waited a few minutes to see if today was going to be a sick day...I felt fine! I had a few appointments to get to for the day, so I showered and headed to my parents' house. My personal attendant arrived shortly there after and we went over the schedule and packed The Bag.

Oh goodness...The Bag. My attendant had packed supplies for every situation. All the toiletries in travel sizes, extra make-up, Q-tips, shoes, snacks (preggies have to eat), an umbrella. I'm pretty sure she had a drop cloth and hot water should my water break and she was forced to deliver Squishy at the alter. That is a committed friend.

Men have it easy on their wedding days, in my opinion. It's the "bride's day" simply because the bride puts the  whole freaking day into getting ready for it. My Man had to get dressed and be at the venue by 4pm. One sentence. That's all. Am I wrong? Is there more that goes into the groom getting ready? So far, I haven't heard a story to suggest so.

As I mentioned before, this was a small wedding. I had one bridesmaid (my older sister), he had one groomsman (his younger brother). We had 60 guests. Small wedding.

I got my hair and make-up done with my sister at a local salon. During our stay there I had my attendant go to My Man's parents' house and give him his gift from me. A new bread maker, knife, and cookbook. She came back to the salon with a gift for me. An emerald necklace to match the emerald ring he had gotten for me for our one-year anniversary. Beautiful. We then went to the venue, which was literally a three minute drive from the salon.

We met our photographers there. We wanted a candid, photojournalism type wedding. I don't like it when all the pictures are posed. We did the family shots posed, of course, but the rest were just us being us.

Family pictures went by quickly, then we went inside to get ready for the ceremony. We wrote our own ceremony, our own vows. We chose the readings, and the announcement of marriage. The whole thing was 15 minutes. It was beautiful. It was perfect. It was, honestly, a blur.

I was married to my best friend. This was awesome. We had dinner, champagne, cake, dancing. It's hard to describe a day that I put so much of myself into. I would think it would be easy, but it's not. I think that's why people have photographers.

We got the most positive feedback on...                            

Harpist Nicolas Carter                                                      
My Personal Attendant                                                    
The Food                                                                        
My Dress                                                                        
The Short Ceremony

There was one point that I really had to pee. I stole away to the potty for a few minutes and ran into one of my parents' friends from their neighborhood. She looked at me and said "I didn't know you were pregnant!!!" I really didn't know what to say about this. I wasn't actively keeping Squishy's existence from anyone, but I wasn't obviously pregnant looking, either. Maybe she just didn't get the block memo. News travels fast in the suburbs, I assumed that my mother would have brought it up at book club or something. I apologized because I didn't know what one is supposed to say to a family friend that accosts you in a bathroom on your wedding day about an unplanned pregnancy. Especially because I didn't know her political affiliation. Either way, she smiled and we both left the bathroom feeling happy, so good job me, I guess.

My husband and I thanked everyone for coming and left to our wedding night. That was comical. Watching him trying to figure out how to un-bustle my dress was about as amusing as watching my friend learn how to bustle it. We were exhausted.

Me: "Do we have to consummate it? I'm already...you know, consummated."
Husband: "What if one of us dies tonight?"
Me: "Fine...I call bottom."

The best wedding gift is waking up the day after and not having to plan a wedding anymore. That stress was a full time job. We were free.

I'll post some pics in the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment