Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Just Another Day for Expert Mommy...

Here's a story from the first week of Husband's new job...

I've had other days home alone with Squishy, no doubt. But today was different. I got up to her cries feeling in charge of my own life in a new way. The husband is at work while the wife is at home. I felt free, in a way. I was in control of how the house was run. I was in total control of what to eat, when to shop, even what to make for dinner for the WHOLE week. Then I remembered...

I HAVE A BABY!!!

It was sort of a mini slap on the face. I thought I had control. I didn't. Squishy is in control of my life. Knowing what the day's errands were wasn't a list of "to-dos" as much as it was like a multi-level quest in a video game. Full of it's own challenges, collections, travel, and the big boss fight at the end.

A few days ago it was 34 degrees outside. I know for some of you that may sound really cold, but in Minnesota in February, it's nice. In 34 degrees (granted the sun was out and there was minimal wind), the snow glitters and starts to melt giving the illusion of Spring. You can go out with your jacket unbuttoned. Earmuffs, leather gloves, and heavy scarves become optional. It was just a few days ago....

Today, however, the House Manager gods were trying to smite me. It was sunny. It was also windy and around 4 degrees. Not a typo...FOUR. If I was going to get anything done with the baby today, heavy layering was going to have to happen. Challenge #1

Squishy was a happy girl when she woke up, and she even played with the double head bird while I wrote out the grocery list for the week. I chose an outfit for her that could be layered. Long sleeved onesie, pants, socks, and I was going to put her in the thin snowsuit for extra protection from the wind. After her morning bottle she proceeded to poop on the first outfit, and spit up on two more. Then she took a nap. I took a quick shower and threw in a load of laundry. When she woke up it was just before noon and I knew we had to go now before she needed another bottle. Challenge #2

The car started (yes!), and I had all the baby supplies, my purse, the list, and the bank deposit. At this point I should mention I made a wardrobe choice. I opted for keeping this grocery trip (which was two columns of a legal pad sheet long) as easy as possible. I'm a Minnesotan woman. I can brave the cold. I went with a tank top, cotton tee, and zip up hoodie with scarf and thin gloves. I didn't want to be messing around with a coat when I knew I was going to have a full cart. Challenge #3

Bank was easy...drive up deposit.

I parked at the grocery store and put Squishy in the Bjorn because there was no way possible that the car seat was going to fit on top of the seat in the cart. The Bjorn was still adjusted to when she was three months old, and with the bulky snowsuit I couldn't buckle it. I held her face into my chest and did that cold winter run shuffle inside. I procured a shopping cart and did something I've never done before...I put Squishy in the cart seat. I buckled the little belt around her waist and she sat there. She looked comfortable and didn't complain. In fact, she looked really happy to just be looking around at all the things in the store. Excellent. Challenge #4

It was a long list and I was trying my best to stick to it. I didn't want to get anything for snacks because if I have snacks I will eat them. No snacks, just dinner things. I had a menu. Tacos, curry, roasted chicken, pork tenderloin. Squishy was content on just looking at all the stuff, but you know as well as I do that that contentness could explode into tiny fury at any moment...I had to shop as fast as my little mommy legs could carry me. Challenge #5

I had collected about half of the items when Squishy started griping for a bottle. Luckily, I made one extra hot at home so if this happened while we were shopping it would be just the right temp. I was going to just hold her in one arm and push the cart with the other, but the cart I chose had one of those ineffectual wheels. Bad planning on my part, but I think I get extra points for having a bottle right there. We sat down on a bench in the front of the store and she ate. Challenge #6

After the bottle, Squishy seemed a lot less interested in the things in the grocery store and a lot more interested in taking a nap. I adjusted the straps on the Bjorn so she could mellow out or cuddle in and sleep or whatever. I knew if she didn't fall asleep in the grocery store, she would definitely be upset by the time we got back to the car. I shopped until her eyes started to glaze over, decided My Man could pick up the rest of the list on his way home, and headed for the checkout lane. This is the part of the video game where the music gets all intense because the boss is coming up...Challenge #7

During a shopping trip with a baby, if the baby has had enough, I would not feel bad about dropping everything, and taking baby home and ordering a pizza. I can try shopping again tomorrow. I get nervous right when we start checking out. I'm locked in at that point. I have to buy the food, bag it, cart it, and find the car. This particular trip was about 3 weeks worth of groceries. Squishy was about to lose it. I spent 20 minutes bagging groceries with her in the Bjorn and she was screaming. I was going as fast as I could when my saving grace showed up. A random woman in the next isle, obviously a compassionate expert mommy, offered to bag my groceries so I could calm Squishy down. She jumped right in and sorted and bagged all the food with speed and skill. She talked to me about her kids at home, and how cute Squishy was. I thanked her profusely, and left.

This was a two hour outing and we were both pooped. I took her up to the apartment first and tucked her into bed. I got the groceries and put them away. I took a nap for 20 minutes. I cleaned the kitchen. I did other  organizing projects until Squishy woke up.

I could tell right away she didn't feel good. She was scratching her face so I gave her the anti-itch medicine and she coughed a lot after. I picked her up and walked her around. She threw up a ton all over her, me, the floor...gross. She felt much better after that. I took her clothes off and took her temperature. Normal. Hmmmm....I wonder what the issue was still, but if she felt better, maybe it's just the start of a cold or something. I put her in fresh PJs and she played for a little while. Then she wanted another nap. I started dinner. Husband came home with lots of stories from the new job. We ate tacos. They were delicious.

Can't wait for tomorrow... :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! You are such a good mommy. And I love curry. Let's get together for curry sometime.

    ReplyDelete