Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Baby Guide: Extreme Eczema

Squishy was born at the end of a Minnesota summer, and we fell full force into Minnesota winter, which is comparably...colder and dryer. Oh, and we get snow sometimes. These shifts in weather can send a person's skin on a roller coaster ride. Especially if your skin is brand new.

Squishy's skin had never been soft. She always had eczema. Her whole body was constantly covered in red bumps, dry patches, and had a scaly texture. We thought it was the weather. It got gradually worse. 

The thing that bugged me was that no baby skin product made her skin better. It only got worse. We had tried Cetaphil, Aquaphor, Johnson's, and California Baby.  The worst spot was her left cheek, all the way back to her earlobe. It was so gradual I didn't notice how bad it had gotten. We went to the doctor when her arms and legs felt like dragon skin, and her cheek looked like this:

Our pediatrician, who we love, said it's the worst case of baby eczema she's ever seen on a three month old. She called in another doctor and they discussed possible treatment options, prescriptions, and diagnoses. They couldn't put their finger on exactly what was going on with Squishy's face. They decided to give us everything but a hospital trip. They said this was how a hospital would treat her skin. If it didn't work after two days, she would do an allergy test. We went to Target and bought them out of the dressings we needed, and filled her prescriptions. Here's what we did:
  • Anti-bacterial ointment on face (Mupirocin-prescription)
  • Steroid cream on elbows and back of knees (problem areas, never on face).
  • Lotion (Aveeno Eczema Therapy Baby) on body. 
  • Wet gauze on cheeks, forehead, knees, upper and lower arms. All wet gauze covered in dry gauze then wrapped in dressing bandages to keep it in place. Leave on for one hour. Repeat. FOR TWO DAYS!

It took about an hour to change the dressings. It for sure took two people. She didn't mind being all wrapped up. We could tell she felt better right away. After two days of this....

You can see all the red bumps on her leg, elbow, hand, back, and neck that weren't covered.
She looked like this: 


The purpose of the wet dry wraps was to force moisture into the skin. They worked like a charm. From then on her skin was maintainable. Our favorite brand for skin care is Aveeno Baby.

UPDATE (April 12, 2014) 

This is the most viewed post of my entire blog! I still get comments requesting the exact method that we used for Squishy's eczema flare up. I do still get a notification every time someone leaves a comment so I have been emailing those who leave an email address. 

Squishy is 3 1/2 and Button is almost 2. Both of them have eczema, dry skin, and food/environmental allergies. We control the allergies with diet and proper doses of benedryl when needed. We use a new lotion that works on both kids really well. It's Cerave in the tub. I get it in the tub because the formula is slightly different if you get the pump bottle so I recommend the tub. It's available at most drug stores or online. 

UPDATE (April 2016) 

I still get emails requesting the step by step instructions for the wet/dry wraps. I try my best to respond as soon as I see those emails. Squishy and Button still have eczema, food allergies, and environmental allergies. Eczema flares with weather and additional illness for them. Plus Button does self-soothe with scratching, he also scratches in his sleep sometimes.

We use Benedryl, Zyrtek, Advil, and prescribed medications to control their allergies now. For their skin, we use Cerave in the tub.

UPDATE (Jan 2017)

I have replied or emailed every comment through the end of January 2017. I found a really good blog covering a lot of eczema routine and supply lists.

Have your little one allergy tested if eczema persists. It can be done on young babies. Both of my littles were allergy tested with a blood test at 12 weeks old. They have both been scratch tested before age 5.

Here's a link to the blog I found. This is a link directly to the wet dry wraps post. I also suggest searching YouTube for wet dry wraps. I hope it helps you!

https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/



37 comments:

  1. I'm from Iowa and my boy was born in July. He has had dry skin since birth. We thought he had bad cradle cap, but at 6 weeks he got a spot on his cheek and he started "oozing." It has been a battle...nothing is working. Creams, lotions, ointments, prescriptions, shampoos, special rags, absolutely no sugar for me, and now I have switched him to formula. Hes on mupirocin now from the dermatologist. Its not working. I'm wondering if your method might work for him? I was wondering if you would mind emailing me more specific instructions? I dont really have anything left to lose. :( maria.vlastuin at gmail.com I don't know if you still monitor this post, but I really hope to hear from you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, im having the same problems with my 6month olds. Actually your pictures look identical to what my sons face looks like and also only on the left side. I would also love to know what you did exactly. I have literally tried everything. My email is dinahistre@gmail.com. I would appreciate any help
    Desperate mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please email me exact details as well. My email is is K13LL4 at yahoo.com My 7 month old daughter just started with eczema 2-3 weeks ago and it's quickly spreading up her arms and down to her hands. I have been using Aquafor, Aveeno eczema lotion, and oatmeal baths but nothing is helping her. She's constantly uncomfortable trying to rub her arms on anything trying to scratch her itchy arms. I'm afraid of it spreading further. Please help, thanks. -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please, please, could you also email me what you did and what you used? My son is currently on his third round of oral steroids and antibiotics for his skin and he's not even 10 months old yet. I hate using the steroids for all the awful side effects but nothing else works. He's almost completely covered and it breaks my heart because I can't help him. My email is jg_underwood@yahoo.com. Thank you so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know what worked too! Please! Krafanan at hotmail.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to know all the details as well, we are going through this and it breaks my heart. Breylyn81@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please email me details! Which specific products you used and how you got the wraps to stay on her face. Thank youuu. Hope you still monitor this post :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you please email my wife and I as well. Our five month old has this same problem on her knees especially. Thank you. cody_thomas@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have emailed Breylyn, Deen, and cody_thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm battling the same issue with my
    Little one. Can you tell me how you got rid of the eczema? My email is reiss_lauren@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please email me. i am going throught the same thing for my 4 month old. lailalindy@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, please be so kind to email me as well. My 29 mo girl has serious eczema, her face is worst spot of the whole body. So, I am hoping the face dressing might help? My email: gracetd@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'd be grateful if you could email me. My 6 months old is having the same issue. Thank you in advance. My email address is: wslo1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please visit our blog and see how our son's health spiraled and he developed Red Skin Syndrome from less than 3 uses of topical steroids..His pics looked just like your sons. He has been in Topical Steroid Withdrawal. http://isaiahquinn.blogspot.com/2013_08_01_archive.html
    Also visit the non-profit International Topical Steroid Awareness Network at www.itsan.org.. lots of info there for you parents searching as my husband and I once were! Love and prayers for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi hi,
    your post really do give me a light of hope.
    my son is 7 mths old, has really bad eczema. nothing is helping ointments, steroid creams prescription creams you name it.
    Please email me the details
    tesa.ulzii@yahoo.com

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  16. Hi, Please help my little 12 week old girl. She has been suffering rash, then dry skin and then hot inflamed red open weeping face and ears. It gets worse every day and she and we can't sleep as she rubs herself on anything she can. Any emolient we use is swiped off and antibiotics and steroids don't get a chance as the skin is constantly weeping and sore.

    Please tell me how to bandage her to protect herself from her own swiping and rubbing and relieve her of the hot burning cheeks. She is so irritable and can't sleep and we all need your help.
    vickycli@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  17. hello i hope u still read this blog my 6 month old is having the same problem I've tried just about everything.. would you please email me how you did it please :( sanpedroshorty@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  18. Please email me the directions as well. I have a four month old whose eczema looks just like your baby's. Jonesce773@gmail.com Thank you for posting this information and for sharing what you know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  19. Please email the specific instructions to me as well. shameerahkates@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing this- our 6 month old baby girl also has eczema. It started out as a small rash on her right cheek, and has now spread all over her face and body. Our pediatrician also prescribed muciprocin and antifungal cream. We would love to try the gauze wrap. We would so appreciate it if you could send the specific instructions to us as well. Thank you so much for your blog!
    Leesoojen at gmail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  21. I hope you are still getting notifications.
    My 5 months old has severe eczema too. :( Could you please email me the wrap instruction at miho0213 at gmail as well? Thank you so much for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  22. please i'm desperate. i tried every product but nothing works. can i please have the details of wrapping. my email is fayecleofas@yahoo.com. thank you so much ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  23. Hi, Im in the same situation. Nothing is working. Please email me detailed steps for the wet wraps. Thank you in advance. My email evyabrego@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://itchylittleworld.com/2012/03/20/our-eczema-trials-wet-wrap-therapy/

      Delete
  24. Hi I am also going through this battle of eczema and I feel like I have tried everything. Would you email me the step by step of how you wet wrapped. You little one face looks very similar to a my little ones face. Shantelreader1@gmail.com also did your Socorro's have any concern about bacteria spreading from moist skin being covered like that, especially if there is suspicion of bacteria (staph) on eczema prone skin

    ReplyDelete