Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mastitis Freaking Hurts!

I've taken a college level medical terms course, so I can tell you that mastitis means unbearable pain. No, it actually translates literally to "swollen breast". You got that right.

Mastitis is one of those things that got mentioned to me offhandedly during pregnancy, or right after Squishy was born. Who can remember, I was a preggie.

I was on the phone with a friend talking about babies while walking around the apartment on a normal night. When I sat down after the call, I was suddenly hit with what I thought was the flu. When I say sudden, I mean it. It was like a light switch. I had a 102.5 degree fever and pains everywhere. I didn't know what was going on until I set up to pump before bed. It was the worst pain I had ever felt. My right breast was hot to the touch and had turned bright red. The bottom half was rock hard and pumping was excruciatingly painful. I screamed it hurt so much. Husband rushed over to me in shock and I just broke down crying. I knew right away that I was dealing with a case of mastitis. I was debilitated. I couldn't move in any way that would shift my chest. I couldn't nurse or pump from my right side. That caused even more pain.

The next day, Husband's parents came over to sit with Squishy while he took me to the doctor. I moaned at every bump in the road, huddled in my seat wishing I were anywhere but there. My fever had abated to a forgiving (ha!) 101.7 at the doctor's office. By this point my right breast was noticeably larger than the left, and I cringed as he tried to examine me as gently as possible.

 I was prescribed an anti-biotic to be taken four times a day for 10 days. I had to take these pills on an empty stomach, which was difficult when I had to eat constantly to keep my energy and milk supply up. The pills started working later that day. Within four days of my diagnosis, the pain was under control and I felt better. This story has a sad ending, however.

My right side began producing milk at 50% the rate that my left side did. Squishy began rejecting that side because she couldn't get milk fast enough, and started getting really frustrated at breast feeding all together. Thankfully, due to the fact that I was a milk producing machine, we had saved up enough milk to last over two months. This would bring us to just over four months old. I really wanted to go longer than that with the breast feeding, but my body didn't agree.

We would have to start weaning Squishy off breast milk and on to formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment