Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Monday, May 2, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship with Kale

I love kale. It's seriously a super food. I'll eat it raw, sauteed, baked, boiled, anything. My issue right now is that I love cheeseburgers too. And you don't see many people ordering a kale salad and a bacon cheeseburger with sauce and other goodies on top. So can I have both?

They both look so good to me...

I've always been confident in my body. I love that pregnancy left me with better looking curves than what I started with. I love my stretch marks, the mark of a mother. I didn't see the need to jump onto a treadmill as soon as Squishy was home.  Quite frankly, the only part of my body that I missed during pregnancy was my ankles. Other than that I really just wanted to be able to have my "nimble" back, which is to say I wanted to be able to turn around in the shower without knocking all the bottles off the shelf.

The word "diet" intimidates me. Calorie counting is lost on me. Lifestyle change? Go back where you came from. I love my body, always have. Husband has always loved it, too. I get rave reviews about how he loves my real body, and how he dislikes the look of a woman who is "snapable". Since Squishy was born, we've both been side tracked from going for runs or making healthy eating choices. It's been take-out, snacks, late night, and frozen pizza for a long time now. But my body is tired. I feel greasy. My soul is heavy. I just want to feel better.

I wanted to say that before I told you that now that spring is here, I started to take a closer look at how I'm treating my body now that I'm a new mom. I haven't been taking great care of myself. I've gotten the handle of Squishy's routine, our play dates, chores, outings, etc. Now it's time for a little "spring cleaning" where my food choices are concerned.

I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm not going on a "diet". I'm not reading any book, buying pills, or doing a hard workout every day. I don't have time for that. I'm just reevaluating my choices. Instead of saying "I can't eat that, I'll get fat", I'll say "I'm choosing to eat something else". I've come up with these four "guidelines" that I'm going to try my best to stick to:

  1. Portion control. This applies primarily to breakfast. I have a tendency to grab a box of cereal and bring it to the living room while Squishy has a bottle and I check the internet and watch Ellen. This behavior leads to me eating a lot more of the food item than I should. 
  2. Only eat when I'm hungry. This is about snack time. It's there, I'm bored, I'll eat it. This one is the hardest and the easiest for me to fix for the simple reason that I'm the one that does the shopping for the house. I can buy whatever I want at the grocery store, so I just have to have some discipline when it comes to the snack foods. If they aren't in the house, I won't eat them. On the flip side, I can buy better choices for myself and practice guideline #1 at the same time. You know I love multi tasking!
  3. More water! I love water.  I have a Camelbak water bottle which is like, awesome if you love water, or would like to start drinking more water. The simple fact that I'm making this a "guideline" is going to make me do it.  
  4. No eating after 8 PM. This does not apply to date night or family dinner. Just when I'm at home. This will help with late snacks that probably weren't good choices anyway. 

Maybe these will take root in me and I'll end up adding more guidelines. For now, this is it. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I think my relationship with kale is definitely on-again. So if you have any good kale ideas, send them my way!

2 comments:

  1. Believe this or not, I've only had a kale a few times, but I remember liking it. I love reading this...it's stuff that I've been trying to work on for the past several months. The overeating/eating when bored and even absolutely stuffed is a huuuuuuuuuge issue of mine. Keep sharing your journey with your 4 rules...I'm anxious to see how it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested that you've only had kale a few times! I encourage you to get back into it simply because I think everyone should be a little more like me. JK. I would say the bored eating is my biggest issue, and all four rules help harness that problem. I'll for sure have to do a four rules update!

    ReplyDelete