Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

See Expert Mommy Go To School!

I am sitting on campus in the computer lab. I don't have class for another hour so I thought I would write a bit about school so far. It's a ton of work, but I like all four classes, my teachers are amazing, the drive isn't that bad, and it seems that my writing skills will get me by. My 4 classes are...

Introduction to Argument. 4 credits. On campus on Tuesdays 6-10 PM. Yes, we will be using the entire four hours for class every week. There is nothing I can do about this except drink coffee on Tuesdays. I adore my professor, she's actually working on a computer down the row from me right now! I'm confident that her disdain for power points and her love of wit, good writing, discussion, and movies will not waste any class time. I don't care about being in a classroom for 4 hours, as long as I'm doing something.

Introduction to Communication Research. 4 credits. On campus on Thursdays 6-10 PM. Same applies as the last class, so I guess I'll be drinking coffee on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My professor is awesome, she's also head of the department and will be my adviser. Double win for me. 

This brings me to my online courses....

Technical Communication. 4 credits. Online meetings 7-9 PM on Wednesdays. This is easier than physically driving to campus, but the designated online sessions have the potential to interfere with my other home activities. I doubt anyone else in the class has a Squishy crawling around their ankles trying to practice her typing skills while they are supposed to be drafting a mock memo or working on professional letter formats. I know just enough about computers to get by in life, nothing more. I don't think coffee can save me from that one. Moving right along...

Geology of the Oceans. 3 credits. Online. Tripped you up with that one, didn't I? Yeah, it's a Geology class. Although I am very interested in the course material (avid fan of How the Earth was Made), the lectures tend to...drag on a bit. Did I say a bit? I meant forever. Anywhere from 40-60 minutes. But don't worry, they are classy. Nothing says "class productivity" like a black and white power point slide show with a voice over reading the slides verbatim. Since I can access the lectures, slides, assignments, and quizzes anytime (almost), I think a nice glass of wine, or possibly a good drug dealer can get me through this. 

After the first week I put in a ton of effort taking notes and really preparing, hoping that I could find at least one class that didn't require that much work per week. Well, so far I have not been so lucky. I spent a collective 16 solid hours at my parents' house reading and taking notes, also doing the actual assignments and online quizzes. It helps that I am interested in all the material, and after studying for three different communications classes, my geology class has turned out to be some sort of sick reward.

Well, it's time for class. I hope I brought the right notebook...

No comments:

Post a Comment