Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Recipes: Tiramisu

This is my maiden voyage with this recipe. Tiramisu is my second favorite dessert and my favorite dessert to order in a restaurant. I wanted to find a good recipe. After researching for three days, I found there is a huge debate out there about this dish! Eggs or no eggs, cheese or cream, sponge cake or lady fingers, authentic Italian or not, easy or hard. I found four promising recipes. Hundreds of comments later I mixed the four together into what I hope is a semi-authentic Italian tiramisu recipe. I gathered my supplies and set to work. So, without further ado...

Tiramisu

6 large egg yolks
3/4 c. and 1tsp. granulated sugar
2/3 c. milk
16 oz. mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. strong brewed coffee
1/2 c. rum or brandy
2-3oz packages of soft lady fingers
3/4 c. cocoa powder for dusting
*I used an 8x8 pan and a small tupperware to make two tiramisus. This recipe is enough for a 7x11 or a spring form pan.


Making the custard filling requires two different parts that are eventually mixed together.

Part One
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and 3/4 c. sugar together on medium speed until lemon-colored.
2. Transfer to double boiler. Over medium heat, whisk egg/sugar mix constantly for 10 minutes. Slowly incorporate milk while whisking. *I used a large metal bowl over a saucepan for this because of the constant whisking. You don't want the eggs to sit at all while they are cooking.
3. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, 3-5 minutes.
4. Add mascarpone cheese and whisk or beat until blended.
5. Cover and chill for one hour.

While it's chilling, brew strong coffee and mix in rum. Set aside.

Part 2
1. Beat cream, 1 tsp. sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
2. Fold in egg/cheese mix with the whipped cream. Result should be a smooth, fluffy custard filling.

Assembly
1. Place a single layer of lady fingers (cut in half lengthwise, mine came that way) in pan.
2. Using a brush, paint coffee/rum mix on each lady finger. *I didn't dip them because they were already soft, and they would have absorbed too much and turned mushy.
3. Spread half of the custard filling over lady fingers evenly.
4. Dust a thick layer of cocoa powder on filling.
5. Repeat 1-4. Do not dust the top of the dish until ready to serve.
6. Cover lightly and chill 24-48 hours.

Pictures...
Sugar and yolks 
Sugar and yolks blended, before cooking and milk addition.
Mascarpone cheese...I got the tiramisu flavored for added gravitas.
I had a serious issue buying something that said
 "A Sophisticated Dessert Cheese" without a silver spoon up my butt. 
I stopped whisking for a moment to get a picture of the eggs/sugar on the stove.
Adding milk also in this step. Keep whisking!!!
After cheese was added. Smooth, liquid, rich custard. 
My two containers with a single layer of halved lady fingers. 
After brushing lady fingers with coffee/rum mix.
Added layer of custard and  liberally dusted  with cocoa powder.
Ready for chilling! Two layers in the pan.
Three layers in the tupperware
I got rave reviews from people on this dessert. The 24-48 chill time is absolutely mandatory in order for the flavors to merry and mellow. I sampled it at 12 hours and it was insanely unbalanced and rum-heavy. I am looking forward to doing this in a springform pan for a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment