Stories of life in the suburbs with Husband and our daughter Squishy and son Button!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Assistant House Manager

Husband and I are so proud of our little Squishy. We have always given her a voice, as in we speak for her. We gave her a personality before she developed her own. Well, she's turning out to be exactly what we thought she would be. 

She's a year and half old, and so smart it knocks my socks off. I was amazed the first time she showed me that she knew which apartment door was ours, even though they all look exactly the same. But what still gets me is her communication skills. 

Although she doesn't have many words yet, she knows how to get her point across. Pointing and signing are her main methods of communication, but she's also picking up nodding to answer questions. We talk to her like she's a full grown human, and test her with small tasks like putting something away or finding a specific toy or book. 

She has really blossomed into the Assistant House Manager role that we jokingly gave her. She loves emptying the dishwasher or putting laundry away. When we are done with dinner, she's the first one to start carrying dishes back to the kitchen. Of course, whenever she helps she gets immense praise from us. She's always very proud of herself when she's helping. But I always count it as something extra that she's doing for me. She obviously doesn't have to help me with House Managing, but she's interested, and I don't see anything wrong with that. 

Today, she spilled some water on the coffee table. I asked her if she could go find something to clean it up, wondering what she would do. She immediately went to her room and took a shirt out of her dirty laundry basket, came back and wiped up the water. Then I asked her to put the shirt back in her laundry and she did. She was really proud of herself and clapped when she was done cleaning up the little spill. It's stuff like that that really gets me. She understands so much of what we are saying even though she doesn't say much herself. 

Her favorite activity is watching home videos of herself. I have a bunch posted on my Facebook page, and it's her way of relaxing. She'd watch them all day if I let her. Sometimes I want to let her, honestly, because I get the best cuddles when we sit and watch Squishy videos. Toddlers are busy little people, and she doesn't have much time for random cuddles with her full schedule of activities. Instead of random cuddles, she's taken to giving random kisses. It's much faster than cuddling, and just as adorable. Even though she doesn't understand pregnancy or a new baby, she kisses my belly whenever she sees it.

We are slowly but surely getting ready for Button's arrival. Squishy enjoys testing all the contraptions that Button will be using. Most recently, I purchased a swing from Craigslist. Squishy didn't waste any time testing it even though she hasn't been in a swing for about a year. Nothing but the best for her little Deputy Button. 

video



No comments:

Post a Comment